While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a jingle at 916-243-6714. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Sacramento weather.