Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask American HVAC Inc in Sacramento about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at American HVAC Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at American HVAC Inc about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Sacramento home clean and healthy. Give the experts at American HVAC Inc a call at 916-243-6714.