Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Sacramento, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at American HVAC Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give American HVAC Inc in Sacramento a call to get started. Give us a shout at 916-243-6714 or schedule an appointment with us online.