You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to schedule furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can inspect, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prepare for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly morning.
- Pull together supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace is out. It could seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this happens, flip the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the probability is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at American HVAC Inc a call at 916-243-6714 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.